Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Looking to save on cheap auto insurance? Compare quotes from the top auto insurance companies and save up to $610.
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Drivers can save $859/yr* by comparing auto insurance
*based on a survey of 1,000 auto insurance customers
Auto Insurance for Military and Veterans
If you’re seeking veterans’ auto insurance coverage, we are here to help you learn all about the basics and more. It’s always worth asking for veterans’ auto insurance discounts on military auto insurance coverage when you’re looking to renew your policy or shop around.
Here are a few things to consider:
What auto insurance coverage do you need?
Remember that this isn’t all about the discount. You still need the best insurance for military members you can get for the best price. Did you know that each insurer has a unique way to determine your rates?
If you’re leasing a vehicle, most lenders will require that you keep full coverage on the vehicle until it’s paid off. However, you may just need liability-only coverage for older vehicles or ones that you own outright.
But keep in mind that liability only covers damages to other vehicles if you cause the damage and won’t cover repairing or replacing your own vehicle. For that, you’ll need to add collision and comprehensive at least. You want to make sure you have the right level of coverage for your needs.
One of the major insurers in the country is USAA auto insurance, which is available only to military personnel and their families. And they often have the best rates out there, but it is always a good idea to shop around to make sure you can find not only the best rates but also the right coverage for what you need.
Do your research and ask about the terms on the policy, their maximum payouts, etc.
What discounts are available for military and veterans?
Often, being a veteran will get you discounts on auto insurance because, statistically, you are safe, responsible, law-abiding, and, in many cases, have a steady source of retirement income assuring your insurance company of reliable monthly premium payments.
Although USAA is a military-specific auto insurance provider, most of the major insurers provide some type of discount because of your military or veteran status. Check out the table below for some of these.
|Discounts||Emergency Deployment||Military||Military Garaging|
|Geico||✓- 25%||✓- 15%||✘|
|Liberty Mutual||✘||✓- 4%||✘|
|Safe Auto||✘||✓- 25%||✘|
Get Your Rates Quote Now
While it’s likely that you’ll be able to get a discount, taking the time to research the best car insurance for veterans will get you a variety of auto insurance quotes so you can find the best policy to suit your needs.
What factors influence your auto insurance rates?
Even if you’re eligible for a discount as a veteran, you still need a good driving record to get a good rate. If you’re looking for cheap car insurance rates for over age 55, taking a driving course can also improve your rates. Other factors that may lower your rates and put you into a lower risk category are:
- Credit history- If you have poor credit, many insurers will see this as a sign you aren’t responsible and will raise your rates accordingly.
- Low annual miles driven – Lower mileage means you are out on the road less and thus, safer.
- Extensive driving experience – The more you drive, the more you know and can act on safe driving habits. This is why teens and young drivers pay more for their policies.
- Anti-theft devices like wheel locks, alarm systems, and ignition protection devices – Any of these devices can help deter or prevent theft which means they’re good for you and your rates.
- Combining car and home insurance on your policy – Most auto insurance companies offer bundling discounts for more of your business.
- Putting multiple vehicles on your policy – Again, the more business you give your insurance company, the more willing they are to give you a break on rates.
- Non-smoker – Non-smokers represent a lower risk driving and often can get a discount
- Carpooling – Not everyone will offer a discount for this but it never hurts to ask
So, while many of the rules for getting good rates on car insurance apply to you, just like they do to everyone, you can also benefit from asking about getting a discount because you are a veteran.
How can you get quotes for veterans’ auto insurance on the internet?
Searching for veterans’ auto insurance quotes on the internet can save you time and confusion because you can get veterans’ auto insurance quotes from one website. It’s often easier to keep track of information on the computer than trying to remember different conversations and prices quoted by phone unless you keep extensive notes. Also, sometimes the friendliest agents, though they are great to talk to, do not have the best deals to offer you.
There are many veterans’ auto insurance companies that are experienced in dealing with military service members. If you’re ready to compare retired military vehicle insurance quotes, get started now.