Benjamin Carr was a licensed insurance agent in Georgia and has experience in life, health, property and casualty coverage. He has worked with State Farm and other risk management firms. Benji is also a strategic writer and editor with a background in branding, marketing, and quality assurance. He has been in military newsrooms — literally on the frontline of journalism.

Full Bio →

Written by Benji Carr
Former Licensed Life Insurance Agent Benji Carr

[su_box title="To Sum It Up" style="default"] Add 3 to 5 overview bullet points [/su_box] Here's a video on how to use the Overview Box above and the Reference Section below: Delete the filler text below and start writing. Good luck. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Laura Berry
Former Insurance Agent Laura Berry

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about veterans. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help veterans make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with one auto insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for veterans interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.

To Sum It Up

  • The Servicemember’s Relief Act states that military members only pay property tax from their home state while deployed
  • The Military SpousResidency Relief Act extended this protection to military spouses
  • For those deployed oversees, the IRS may provide a filing extension for taxes

It’s a question many military members find themselves asking around tax time; do I still owe vehicle property tax while deployed?

Military taxes can seem complicated, but there are many resources available to service members to keep things simple in reality.

From volunteers helping with filing taxes to experts on finding army/veterans auto insurance. Keep reading to learn more about when you have to pay property tax while deployed.

Are you interested in looking for more affordable vehicle insurance for your car while you’re deployed? Enter your ZIP code above, and we will help you find providers that fit your budget.

Not yet ready to buy vehicle insurance for your car while you’re deployed? Read on to learn more.

Do you pay property tax when you are deployed?

Free taxes for military members is not a current benefit. However, you do receive a large break when you are deployed.

You still pay property tax on your non-business property while you are deployed, but only in your home state.

With the passing of the Servicemembers Relief Act of 2003, if you are deployed to a different state in the US than your home state, you only owe property tax to your home state.

For example, let’s say you are a resident of Ohio, and you are deployed to Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri. You will only pay taxes for Ohio.

The Military Spouses Residency Relief Act in 2009 extended this protection to military spouses who move with their spouses because of a deployment.

Compare quotes from the top auto insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you pay property tax when deployed overseas?

If you are deployed overseas property tax, and all your other taxes are still due at the same time every year.

While it may seem like a challenge to file things in another time zone, the reality is a great deal of tax filing for service members can be done online.

For those who are not able to file taxes online or otherwise, there are two main options.

Option one is to file for an extension. If you are serving in a combat zone or are deployed outside the country close to when taxes are due, the IRS can provide an extension of about 120 days.

To make filing easier, the IRS works with the Armed Forces Tax Council and created the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

These resources provide additional resources and help to military members and their families file taxes on time and navigate the paperwork involved.

If you are serving overseas, the second option is to provide a power of attorney, POA, to a family member or someone you trust implicitly.

There are many benefits available to military personnel and veterans, from financial advice to help finding discount car insurance.

Do you need to find vehicle insurance quotes for your car while you’re deployed? Enter your ZIP code below, and we will help you save money and find the coverage you need today.