What You Need to Know about Auto Insurance for Military Veterans
Free Auto Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012
It’s all about veterans. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help veterans make confident auto insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with one auto insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for veterans interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
Auto insurance for military veterans is something you have earned if you have retired from active duty in the military. To say that you have earned savings for serving your country is an understatement. If you are not already getting a discount for your auto insurance, it is time to consider finding a new policy provider.
Even if you have a good policy with reasonable rates you should always give your policy premiums an annual “health check.” By doing this you can make sure the rates you pay are not just fair but downright cheap. While it may seem like a small advantage, getting great rates on your car insurance is one of the many ways companies try to say “thank you” for the service you have already provided for the country.
Getting the Most for Your Service Time
In addition to getting reductions in your rates as a small token of appreciation for your service, there is another reason auto insurance for military veterans tends to be more affordable. It seems that statistically retired military vets and active duty servicemen and women are safer drivers. Also because you are more than likely getting your retirement through the military, you have a steady and stable income, even in your golden years. Some things to know are:
- Regardless of whether or not you are active duty military or a retired vet, auto insurance for military veterans will only come at a discount if your driving record is fairly clean. If it is not, work on getting this in order and then comparison shop for quotes again.
- If you had a slightly blemished driving history when you got the policy you have, it is certainly time for a checkup. Tickets, accidents and other minor driving infractions usually come off of your record in three years. The trouble is your current car insurance provider may not be aware that something came off of your record, which means your rates could be higher than need be. Be sure to alert your policy provider if something from your past record has exceeded the three year mark. More importantly, take this opportunity to get quotes for auto insurance for military veterans rates from competing companies.
- It is important to keep some level of car insurance even if you do not drive as much as you once did. In fact you may even be in the habit of just borrowing your friend’s car once or twice a week to get some errands done. The first thing to realize is that you must keep some type of insurance because a lapse in your policy of 30 days or more will cause your rates to skyrocket when you do try to get a policy. Also, there is basically auto insurance for every type of situation including “non owner’s” car insurance. Get yourself protected to be sure you are on the road legally.
The Benefits of Your Latter Years
In addition to getting auto insurance for military veterans, if you are older, you may be able to save in other ways on your auto insurance policy premiums. For example, you can take AARP driver’s classes to help learn important rules of the road for seniors. Not only can this help you stay safe, it will also help you cut down on the cost of your monthly premiums.
Some other ways to save include:
- Quit That! Insurance policy premiums for non-smokers are cheaper than for smokers. If you are already a smoker, this is the perfect time to quit for your health and your insurance payment costs.
- Safety First! If you are getting a new car, look for safety features over fun extras. The more safety features the lower your insurance. In fact, if your vehicle choice has a high safety standard rating, you will probably see more affordable rates. Add an anti-theft device such as a car alarm and watch the premium dive even lower.
- Bundle Up! Have homeowner’s insurance? How about life insurance? That Hog in the driveway means you must also have motorcycle coverage. Of course, when you are using different policy providers for each policy, you are more than likely spending much more than you need to. Bundle all your polices to be covered by one company and you will see huge savings. Besides it is so much easier to make one monthly payment than three, four or five payments to different companies. On that note…
- Change Is Good! Change the way you pay and how often you pay and you will probably see big results. For one thing, try to pay annually instead of monthly and you are bound to get a discount on top of auto insurance for military veterans discounts. If you can arrange to set up auto payments through your checking, savings or credit card, you could also see a rate drop. Insurance companies reward their customers for going paperless by offering a better deal on premiums.
Remember, getting auto insurance for military veterans can usually save your family money on insurance as well. Although the discount won’t be as drastic for your immediate family members, any savings on car insurance is a good thing. Also if you have other drivers in your own household, putting all drivers on one policy can also help everyone see big savings.
Making It Happen
The bottom line is there is no reason to pay full price for your auto coverage if you are eligible for auto insurance for military veterans. The best part is you don’t have to do any of the research work yourself. You simply use your zip code to gain access to the most competitive rates around. In no time at all you could easily be saving major money on your monthly insurance payments.
There’s no need to overpay for auto insurance another day. Enter your zip code and get a jump on savings right away. Get the auto insurance for military veterans discount you have earned.